Santa Barbara, CA asked in Personal Injury for California

Q: Are there any viable causes of action in California for suing a spouse or his mistress as a result of their affair?

Assume there are only adult (no minor) children involved, and that the motivation is to seek redress by moving against both the spouse and the mistress.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
Mr. David Thomas Pisarra
  • Santa Monica, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Unfortunately, when we moved form a "Fault" state to a "No-Fault" state, that meant that a party cannot sue for the Loss of Consortium, which is what people used to sue for when there was a loss of emotional and physical intimacy in a relationship.

Now, if you contracted a disease as a result of their activities, and it was provable, then you might be able to pursue something, but that is highly unlikely.

Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress is also a remote possibility, IF they were conducting themselves in such a flagrant and emotionally tormenting manner, but again that is highly unlikely.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.