Washington, DC asked in Constitutional Law for District of Columbia

Q: How to you make complaints about unfair prison treatment??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Daniel Gross
Daniel Gross
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: The specific policy would depend on the jail, detention center, or prison where the inmate is being housed. As a general rule in the US, a prisoner may file an official grievance with the agency designated by federal or local law. The inmate is required to be made aware of these procedures. The grievance or complaint should be kept confidential and the corrections officials who are the subject of the complaint should not be allowed to retaliate because the prisoner has filed a formal grievance. If the complaint is dismissed there is a further review process which can eventually lead to review by a court. A prisoner may also file a Habeas Corpus motion asking to be brought before the court so that they may be heard. It is generally best to follow the official grievance process before going to the court. If you would like a more specific answer, please provide the name and location of the facility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.