Asked in Consumer Law for New Jersey

Q: Company is in CA, their repair facility is in IN. Can I do anything (small claims?) without having to travel?

Bought notebook from an official retailer online. It arrived defective (display and motherboard/GPU). RMAed it to IN facility, arrived Dec 8.

Still waiting. Multiple emails from me and seller's customer support, and calls from me. Trouble getting specifics, just that it's being "tested" or in some other state of repair.

Called on Jan 13, was told it was being tested for stability, and would likely ship out the following week. Called Jan 20, was told it was being tested.

Am burning through standard warranty and accidental damage without actually getting to use it.

Don't know if they'll actually fix the display. Don't know if my upgrades will be intact. Don't know when I'll get it, or what I'll get whenever I finally do.

Would prefer to avoid court. I just want the computer I paid for, that they're keeping from me. Notebook was expensive enough, travelling to CA is a stretch.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Rudnick
Jonathan Rudnick
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Tinton Falls, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You can probably file suit in small claim court in New Jersey and the court will serve them at their California address. They might challenge the jurisdiction of the court but the court would have to make the determination whether the is jurisdiction ion New Jersey.

The requisition is whether there are sufficient facts that would make it fair to have them come to New Jersey to defend the lawsuit.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.