Hazel Green, AK asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: How do I draw up a parental rights petition?

I am not married to the father of the child, but he has agreed to terminate his parental rights. How do i draw up the petition for him to voluntarily give up his parental rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Lee Pfeifer Jr
William Lee Pfeifer Jr
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Rather than try to do this yourself, I would encourage you to hire an attorney to draft all of the paperwork for you. A petition to terminate parental rights will need to be filed in juvenile court, which has to be served on the father so that he has an opportunity to contest it. If he has agreed to the parental rights termination, then he can sign a consent to the termination. The case will be scheduled for a hearing, at which the judge will determine whether there are sufficient grounds for a parental rights termination. If you try to do this yourself, it would be easy to make a mistake that could create problems later. However, if this is really going to be uncontested by the father, an attorney should be able to handle it for you at a reasonable price. If we can be of assistance, please let us know.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.