Birmingham, AK asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: In Alabma husband living with another woman since Nov 08 & got newspaper obituary showing them having same last name &

Facebook showing he added her as his spouse on his family tree, can I get him for bigamy?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Lee Pfeifer Jr
William Lee Pfeifer Jr
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Possibly. Alabama Code Section 13A-13-1 says "A person commits bigamy when he intentionally contracts or purports to contract a marriage with another person when he has a living spouse. A person who contracts a marriage outside this state, which would be bigamous if contracted in this state, commits bigamy by cohabiting in the state with the other party to such a marriage." Bigamy is a Class C felony, carrying a sentence of up to 10 years in prison. You would need to talk to a sheriff's investigator in your county to determine whether this is a case they would be willing to investigate. Regardless of whether law enforcement determined there was enough evidence for an indictment, his public relationship with this woman would work to your benefit in divorce court proceedings. If we can be of any assistance, please let us know.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.