Las Vegas, NV asked in Internet Law for Nevada

Q: How do i find out the owner of a private registered website

There is a privately registered website that an individual posted information about me on. I want the information removed. The poster is anonymous, and the information is private information that I don't want made public. (It is from an ex girlfriend, I'm sure). The website has a no-removal policy (which they advised me of when I asked them to remove the content). I would like to know who owns and operates the website, but it is privately registered. How do I get this information? I know that I can't sue them, as they are protected by CDA 230, however, I'm hoping that if I can get their address, maybe I can write them a letter, pleading with them. I'm sure that if I wrote them a letter, explaining my side of the story, I might get a better response. Please help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: While I doubt that you are correct that someone who has gone to the effort of successfully hiding will appreciate your finding them and respond to your sob story, it is a fact that you can sometimes find the true operator of a privately registered web site by sending the appropriate letter to the registrar, or by filing a lawsuit and sending a subpoena.

If you are sure you know who made the post, you might be able to sue that person for a public retraction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.