Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Nevada Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Nevada on

Q: What will happen in this situation to my exboyfriend?

So i went to a teacher for advice and i told him about how my exboyfriend threaten me with pictures but me and my exboyfriend were good again but the teacher got the school involved i have not made any reports against my exboyfriend though and i dont want the school to do anything against him or... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 17, 2019

Please also ask the teacher about not writing in a single run on sentence

Lawyers want to answer inquiries accurately.

We cannot be dure if it is not parsed into single sentences starting with capital letters and ending eith punctuation marks

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Family Law for Nevada on

Q: My daughter and her two girls moved in with me. My son in law pays nothing. I’m going broke. How do I get him to pay?

Daughter has him living in my house. Against my desire. But is now fed up

Timothy Denison answered on Aug 17, 2019

Tell him his share of the monthly payment and pay up or have him removed from the house.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: My father passed with out a spouse i'm an only child who doesn't get along with his mother and sisters. They are trying

To take Everything. They have taken over planning the funeral. They're Ordering a bunch of death certificates. I was told there is no will. I was told i'm the closest next of kin.

Who has the most rights to take over his property and how do i stop them? How do i assert my rights and take... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 17, 2019

Hire a local probate attorney to help you petition the court to be appointed executor of your father’s estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for Nevada on

Q: I applied and got a provision to do security passes everything paid my money and they wouldn't let me why

I got the EUi number to work also is there something I can do

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Aug 15, 2019

This is not a securities law question.

2 Answers | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on

Q: Can my wife become a U.S. citizen if she was convicted of a drug possesion charge before we were married 10 years ago?

She was convicted in Japan. I’m a U.S. citizen. The charge was she tested positive for marijuana and exctasy on a urine test which is considered possession in Japan.

Stephen Arnold Black answered on Aug 14, 2019

This may pose a challenge but the good news is she may qualify for a waiver of inadmissibility if the drug possession was simple and was a one time thing. Discuss with counsel. Counsel anywhere in the USA can represent you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: How long is living trust valid?

How many years is living trust valid in Nevada?

Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 11, 2019

For all practical purposes, there is no time limit for living trusts in Nevada, but to answer your question, in Nevada a nonvested property interest must vest within 365 years after its creation. I am not aware of any trust case in Nevada that has tested that limit, and I doubt I will see such a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: Is living trust outdated after 3 years?

Stone Law Office advertised on RJ on August 11, 2019 as "why your living trust may be outdated if it's more than 3 years old." Is this true?

Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 11, 2019

It is true in some cases and not others. That is why they wrote "maybe" instead of "is". Estate plans should be reviewed every few years for possible changes needed due to changes in laws and also every time a significant change occurs within the family or the field of beneficiaries, such as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Nevada on

Q: I have been ordered to pay back unemployment assistance will those be a problem or grounds for deportation?

I'm a permanent resident and need to renew my card I'm worrying this will get me deported, this happened in my 8th year of residence and I'm almost here for 10 years, what can I do

Kevin L Dixler answered on Jul 31, 2019

More information is needed. It is important that you do not confuse the USCIS when completing your form. As a result, I strongly recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before there are any unnecessary complications. Good luck.

The above is general...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Nevada on

Q: My name is Donnie Holt on 2/22/19 i was issued 2 citations one for use/poss drug para and one for false stmt/obst pub

I had court on 4/1/19 but failed to show up upon trying to contact the courts to get back on calender it appears that both cases were dismissed n i believe it has to do with NRS171.1773 how can i find out for sure i have a good job i dont want to lose because of a surpise visit to jail

Patricia Warnock answered on Jul 30, 2019

Most jurisdictions in Nevada have websites where you can look up case information. Determine where your violation occurred to figure out which court you should be checking into and review their online system. If you cannot find the information there, you can always call the specific court.

3 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Tax Law for Nevada on

Q: Hi, Im going to form an LLC but have some questions about starting up without a lot of capital and taxation questions.

So I am the owner of a music group and naturally we don't have a large amount of capital to start a huge company but I was wondering how it works with taxes once you form an LLC and pay for things for your company with personal money before a lot of profit starts coming in is it tax deductible? I... Read more »

Patricia Warnock answered on Jul 27, 2019

Speaking with a tax planner is your best bet. He/She can help you decide what entity type is best for you and how to structure your entity to work in your best taxable interests. Business licenses vary from state to state and even county to county or town to town. You should speak with an... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Public Benefits for Nevada on

Q: If I had a drug Felony in 1993 from a different state can I work in a dispensary

Patricia Warnock answered on Jul 26, 2019

To work in a marijuana establishment in Nevada, you must obtain an agent card. You should review the requirements for obtaining an agent card to see if you qualify as there are several requirements, including references to previous drug convictions. The application is on the Nevada Department of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Nevada on

Q: Domestic violence, who should be arrested, the person who lays hands on first or the person who's defending themself?

William Jaksa answered on Jul 21, 2019

It could be both, none, or just the instigator. You are allowed to use force to protect yourself during an assault or to prevent an assault, BUT you must be able to justify the force you used. So, for example, you can lay hands on a person first IF it is to protect yourself from an anticipated... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: IRA account with no listed beneficiary passing into estate - does this go to next of kin ?

Father passed in Nevada. Will states "intentional and with full knowledge omitted to provide for heirs".

There is an IRA account (opened in CA) with no beneficiary listed and the bank form states it will pass into the 'estate'. As next of kin (who was intentionally omitted from will) is... Read more »

Delwyn E. Webber answered on Jul 15, 2019

Although your father disinherited his 'heirs', did he name any beneficiary(s) in his Will? If he named beneficiaries, then the funds from the IRA should go to them through the Probate process.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Nevada on

Q: what do I do if the other persons insurance doesn’t help me get a new car after a total loss when they’re at fault?

My car was only 4 months old, a 2019 Honda Civic with only 3400 miles on it

The other person was at fault and the insurance has admitted they’re at fault

I have gap insurance but I’ll be left without a car

Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 11, 2019

What you do is that you thank yourself for having gap. If you were hurt in the wreck you have an injury claim and should pursue it--contact a member of the Nv. Assn for Justice in the county where it happened--they give free consults.

2 Answers | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Nevada on

Q: Patent lawyer needed. Want to see if the idea I have for a new style of electrical box is already patented

searching to see if a patent is already taken for a new style of electrical box for your home.

Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jul 9, 2019

You may want to review this slide set on how to do some preliminary searching on your own. You may find that your idea is patented or was at least published as a pending application.

As noted in the slide set, you will not be able to see all the...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Probate for Nevada on

Q: Deed Upon Death

I have a Deed upon death, but not related. The deceased has personal property in the condo and Clark County has taken Action to secure personal property. Blood relatives not cooperative, how do I proceed as owner of real property to obtain title and remove personal property out of real property,... Read more »

Jonathan Craig Reed answered on Jul 9, 2019

Probably the Clark County Coroner has secured the condo to give the estate a reasonable time to remove personal possessions and look for things like bank statements and safety deposit keys. I think your first step would be to call the Coroner, explain your interest, and ask how long the Coroner... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Nevada on

Q: Does a deed upon death created in 2016 supersede a will created in 2012?

Deed upon death leaves property to myself and my sister as JT. Will leaves property to my sister only unless she sells it, at which time the proceeds go to the 5 heirs as stated in the will. I am the financial guardian for his estate. My father passed away, last month, my mother in 2014. We plan to... Read more »

Delwyn E. Webber answered on Jul 8, 2019

Firstly, sorry for your loss.

The Deed Upon Death prevails over the Will, so once you and your sister sign and file the appropriate Affidavit with the Recorder, the property will be transferred to you and her as Joint Tenants.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on

Q: Re-read Lease agreement for Las Vegas apartment. Several spots refer to California Law, not Nevada Law.

My son's former Signifcant Other and he moved to Las Vegas with their children and leased an apartment together on May 1 to save money. My son has had to come to Oregon because of a family issue. In re-reading his lease agreement there are several areas where the document refers to California Law... Read more »

Mike Branum answered on Jul 7, 2019

The agreement is likely worth less than the value of the paper upon which it was printed (or written in crayon - it does not sound like a very well thought out document). I would still be extremely careful in the way in which your son separates himself from this less than sophisticated landlord. I... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Nevada on

Q: I have doctor's orders to get the smart meter off my house and they won't take it off my house how do I go about get him

Mike Branum answered on Jul 7, 2019

You don't. You have a number of choices. You could request your doctor give you a prescription for a medication to help you deal with the anxiety of having the smart meter on your house (Xanax, Prozac, Ativan - there are many options, if one does not work you could try something else). You could... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nevada on

Q: Nevada. Three dogs. One is esa. Am I required to tell potential landlord before applying if their pet allowance is 2 dog

I have three dogs one is documented as my emotional support animal by my doctor of several years. Am I required to inform potential landlords that I have an ESA before I apply to be a tenant ? The rental property I am interested in has a two pet policy, although I have three dogs one is ESA.... Read more »

Mike Branum answered on Jul 7, 2019

Probably not. There are a few limited exceptions to the Fair Housing Act but, unless one of the exceptions applies, the ESA is not considered a pet and therefore should not affect your ability to have two pets.

If you were my client I would advise you to tell the landlord up front that you...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.