Cathedral City, CA asked in Intellectual Property for California

Q: Before she died, my sister gave me all her photographs, negs, rights to her work. How do I copyright them?

She and I collaborated on many and I digitally developed many for her. I have her original prints and negatives for most of her work.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Giovanni Chu
Joseph Giovanni Chu
  • Irvine , CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may file as a co-author on works that you collaborated with your sister. When you file, you will have to provide information your contribution to the works. On works which she solely authored, you can still be a claimant of the copyright and include a transfer statement showing how you obtained the copyright (for example, via a will or an assignment while she was still alive).

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.