Selma, AL asked in Tax Law for Alabama

Q: If a person has a recorded lien for income taxes owed to the Department of Revenue, can the Department of Revenue place

For a person with an income tax lien filed, can the State of Alabama file a garnishment on their checking account?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: In short answer, YES! Tax debts and liens are usually the hardest to deal with because they are extremely difficult to discharge. It is a priority debt and usually will be paid first and is rarely discharged. However, if payment is an issue there are ways to try to negotiate the debt and/or settle it. You should consult an attorney to discuss those options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.