Cuthbert, GA asked in Real Estate Law for Georgia

Q: Does a certificate of order of years support transfer title to property also?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tanner Woods Pittman
Tanner Woods Pittman
  • LaGrange, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: If the property was petitioned for in the year's support proceeding, the certificate will transfer title. The probate court is required to record a certificate of year's support in the deeds and records of the county in which the awarded real property is located. If you are concerned whether your certificate has been recorded, contact the office of your local clerk of superior court. They'll either pull it up for you or tell you how you can find it yourself. Alternatively, you may contact your local tax assessor's office. They're probably aware of your year's support award if it affects land title.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.