Scottsboro, AK asked in DUI / DWI for Alabama

Q: Can I sue a city, after they made me sign a waiver saying i wouldnt? I was under duress at the time.

I was arrested for a DUI, where i blew a 0.00, and the cop lied (I can prove it). It never went to trial, and they finally dismissed the charges against me after 18 months, and numerous missed days. It cost me a lot financially, embarrassment, and anxiety. It's put my career in jeopardy as well. After 18 months of stringing me along, they finally dismissed the case, but said they'd only do it if i signed a waiver that I wouldn't sue. I no longer live in that community because of this incident, and live in 750 miles away. Both DA's were going to make me come back to court again, if i didn't sign the waiver. Isn't that a form of extortion? The knew there was no case to begin with, but made it extremely difficult for me, hoping that I wouldn't show, and i could be charged. From what i've heard, this is how this city operates, and get's all its money is through DUI's, and a court referral program. They won't put camera's in the police cars, but they have them in the jails.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Carl Perry Jr.
Richard Carl Perry Jr.
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: In most cases, you cannot sue a municipality because of governmental immunity. Additionally, even if you attempted to sue the city, they could turn around and prosecute you for the DUI. You entered into a contract that you would not sue them if they did not sue you. Because there was a legally binding contract, you would likely not prevail.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.