Spring Hill, FL asked in Personal Injury for Florida

Q: Does a person need an atterney in a civil suit

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Heather A. Harwell
Heather A. Harwell
  • Wesley Chapel, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: A person who has not been previously deemed legally incompetent may represent himself or herself in a suit. However, the answer as to whether or not a person should represent himself or herself depends upon the nature and complexity of the issues that will be involved in the lawsuit as well as the experience, education and knowledge of the person himself or herself. A person who is not a licensed attorney in the relevant state cannot represent another person although a parent or guardian may file or defend a suit on behalf of his or her child. Small claims court is generally set up to accommodate small value matters and accommodate persons who represent themselves. Always take advantage of free consultations to have an attorney review your particular situation. Ask the attorney very pointed questions about each necessary step in the process. specifically ask the attorney if the matter is something that you could handle by yourself. If you feel comfortable with handling the matter yourself, do so. Keep in mind though that if the matter is unexpectedly beyond your capabilities, you may cause significant and irreversible damage to your position. If you take on a matter yourself and feel that you get in over your head, you can hire a lawyer at any time during the process. If you can afford to do so, it is always best to hire an attorney who practices in the area of law applicable to the issues in the case.

***Ms. Harwell is licensed to practice law in Florida. In accordance with the Justia community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. This communication is provided for the purpose of general informational purposes only. Additional facts and information pertaining to the relevant question above could significantly change this response and make it inapplicable to your personal circumstances. Many attorneys offer free consultations and Ms. Harwell strongly advises that you take advantage of this opportunity to discuss your particular situation in detail and obtain legal advice most suited to your personal situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.