St Marys, GA asked in Consumer Law for Georgia

Q: Service accepted by spouse is addressed to ( me) name in the suit not any form ever used by plainitff.. me.

A Collector added input to CRA adding a name that I never used in any transaction Possibly to cause one to assume it is a valid debt? Prior to bringing their civil suit.

Before I dispute it which I intend to BECAUSE one I never used that name.. My first name is the only thing correct. I feel their submission is a cause for anyone accessing my account, Employers and others to question my character.

I believe the intent to validate a claim for suit which has since been entered. Severed me 4-18 (my husband took the papers at the door I was not home at the time)

As this relates to my credit report and a collection account they reported as owed to them?

Do I respond as My true legal self? As I see they are claiming this Debt collection account and attributing it to me in MY credit report. If I respond would I be accepting and acknowledging a debt they have incorrect or of little VALIDITY. Or worst, that at some point in time I attempted to obtain credit in that name

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Robert Neal Katz
Mr. Robert Neal Katz
  • Decatur, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: I would suggest you retain counsel to assist you in sorting out the situation. Simply answering the lawsuit, denying the person is you and denying you owe the debt will not subject you to liability for the debt. However, the lawsuit would need to be properly answered and then would need to be properly handled thereafter to make certain it was dismissed as having been filed against the wrong person. Failing to answer the lawsuit could result in a judgment being entered against the person named in the lawsuit. If that was ever deemed to be you, then the judgment could be enforced against you. Again, you should retain counsel.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.