Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Georgia Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Georgia on
Q: damage to engine by mechanic

Vehicle was taken to local mechanic for simple oil change. By shops admission "drove the car into the bay, we performed the oil change and then the car wouldn't start". We (owners) attempted to jump the car, thinking it was the battery w/o luck. Bought a new battery, it tried to... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Feb 8, 2023

It is unclear from your question what specifically the mechanic did that damaged your car. Since an oil change is a relatively simple service, it is difficult to imagine a hypothetical in which the mechanic’s work likely caused the loud banging noise.

You need to hire another mechanic to...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Criminal Law for Georgia on
Q: individual to do appraisal of valuable photos refuses to return photos. What do I do?

My mom was looking to sell photos that were taken by her mom of famous people, i.e. JFK , Astronauts john Glenn Shepard and their are many. She was to review and appraisal first and then we would go from their as to how much they are worth. She owned a Junk/Antiques and local pawn shop, The... Read more »

Robbie Levin
Robbie Levin
answered on Feb 1, 2023

If someone refuses to return your property to you, then they are committing a theft. You can call the police. You could also hire an attorney to "politely" ask the person to return the property.

For more information, visit my website at

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Estate Planning and Family Law for Georgia on
Q: I'm in Georgia. I am suing a large Bank as my FBO Trustee. The actual person was incompetent & milked account for 7 year

Refused to release a small portion 5 years ago for a house purchase. Psychological harm, then they invest the money and refused to honor my wishes to take profits and then set it aside for home purchase when the trust would expire 12/31/22. The amount in fees was about 40% of the start amount.... Read more »

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Dec 30, 2022

I am not a Georgia lawyer and you absolutely should consult a Georgia attorney with your situation. But, ordinarily, things like refusing to honor your wishes to release funds for the mortgage, etc. aren't good claims against a trustee by a beneficiary. A Settlor puts money into a trust for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Civil Litigation for Georgia on
Q: Can a title specialist / financial operations manager notarized customer paperwork?

Based on this state law below, can a title specialist / financial operations manager notarized customer paperwork:

It is lawful for a notary who is an employee, officer, director or stockholder of a bank or corporation to take the acknowledgment of any party to any written instrument... Read more »

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
answered on Dec 7, 2022

Certainly. A prohibition would apply be where the Notary Public had some form of ownership interest in the business or the transaction itself.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Georgia on
Q: How does one go about getting a debt collector to stop calling the wrong person without giving any personal info?

Please read the whole thing.

Portfolio Recovery has been calling me for over two years trying to find another person. I have told them on more than one occasion that I am not the person they are seeking, that I do not owe this debt, it isn't my debt, and to stop calling me.... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Oct 15, 2022

Hire an attorney to write a letter for you. The return address will be the lawyer's.

Block the number on your cell phone.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Consumer Law, Collections and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: I paid off my civil judgment in full in 08/29/2022 through wire transfer. Today I called & was told payment was rejected

I called today as I still have not received any payment confirmation, court documentation, such as satisfaction of judgement, etc. and was trying to figure out why. The day payment was made I was told by this company my wire transfer was successful and applied to account.

Today though,... Read more »

Barry W. Kaufman
Barry W. Kaufman
answered on Oct 5, 2022

Yes, I think that would be a good idea.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Georgia on
Q: My son received a phone call from a courier service to serve him papers to go to court concerning an old credit card

It was from 2015 and has a lot of added interest and fees and they are saying they are going to garnish his wages. He doesn’t remember ever having this credit card and I am wondering if this is even legal or possible

James W. Hurt Jr.
James W. Hurt Jr.
answered on Jul 14, 2022

If your son resides in Georgia, then the statute of limitations on a credit card debt is 6 years. This debt should be beyond the statute of limitations. His wages cannot be garnished unless and until the debt collector gets a judgment against your son. He would first have to be served with a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Landlord - Tenant for Georgia on
Q: I moved out of an apartment and my landlord is charging me for a stove that caught fire when cleaning team cleaned it

The property management company is charging me for the carpet to be replaced, the walls to be painted, hauling off trash or unwanted items that I moved to the curb for trash pickup...I lived in the apartment for approximately 5 1/2 years. I am asking if these charges are legit? I was under the... Read more »

Paula J. Mcgill
Paula J. Mcgill
answered on Jul 7, 2022

It is not standard for the landlord to pay for carpet and painting when a tenant moves out.

However, whether you are responsible for a portion of the carpet replacement will depend on the condition of the carpet when you moved in, the condition of the carpet when you moved out, and the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Internet Law for Georgia on
Q: A major US retailer has a bug on their website that exposes customer info. What are my options here?

I’ve contacted the retailer and they took 27 days to respond to my email and they said they opened an investigation. They seem to not be in any rush with this.

I would like to stress that this is a MAJOR US retailer.

Other customers’ information just started popping up into my... Read more »

Kimberly Grant
Kimberly Grant
answered on Apr 23, 2022

You very well may have a claim for this data breach which could result in compensation to you. A complaint would likely need to be filed against the retailer in order to make sure the flaw in their software is fixed. You should contact a lawyer in Georgia as soon as possible to explore this matter... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Collections for Georgia on
Q: In Georgia, does responding to a collection notice by denying the debt reset the SoL clock for the debt?

Charter has sold an account of someone with my name, but living in a different state, that I've never lived in to collections agencies. I've disputed it multiple times and with all three credit agencies, but several months after dealing with one collections agency, it come back from a... Read more »

James W. Hurt Jr.
James W. Hurt Jr.
answered on Apr 13, 2022

Disputing the debt will not reset the statute of limitations. You should send a letter disputing the validity of the debt and explain once again that it is not yours and you have never lived in the state where the debt allegedly was incurred.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Products Liability, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Georgia on
Q: My car was damaged by an automatic car wash machine. The damage was caused by broken device. Are they negligent?

The attendant said that they are not liable for damage to vehicles over ten years in age. Some solid device smashed into the side of the car and busted the driver's side outside mirror assembly. They even stopped the automatic conveyor machine because they heard the loud "POP" sound... Read more »

Zachary Taylor Beck
Zachary Taylor Beck
answered on Apr 8, 2022

If the car wash had warning signs (essentially liability waivers) in reasonable view, then you likely assumed the risk of damage to your vehicle by using the car wash. Thus, the car wash is not liable.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Family Law, Real Estate Law and Child Support for Georgia on
Q: I need to have a lien filed for child support arrears balance exceeding $25k in Cobb County.

Need help finding an attorney that can help get a lien filed against non-custodial parent real estate property in Cobb county, ga. I’m

Homer P Jordan IV
Homer P Jordan IV
answered on Mar 3, 2022

Have you reached out to any Cobb County attorneys to see if they can help you with your case? Start there and have a consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Collections for Georgia on
Q: Is a "professional parking management" company's fines enforceable? Not through a govt agency but a private company.
Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines
answered on Feb 26, 2022

These fines are generally not enforceable like tickets issued by law enforcement agencies. However, failure to pay the fines could result in outstanding balance being sent to a collection agency, which could negatively impact your credit.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Georgia on
Q: When a plaintiff uses the Sherriff to serve a defendant and, garnishee, do they still need to file a certificate of serv

When a plaintiff uses the Sherriff to serve a defendant and, garnishee, do they still need to file a certificate of service with the court? The court has uploaded the sheriff's entry of service showing the dates the plaintiff and garnishee were served... Just trying to see if I need to... Read more »

Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines
answered on Jan 30, 2022

Good question. Like any other magistrate court claim, when you initially file suit and request the marshal's or sheriff's department to serve the defendant, you are required to fill out a form called the "marshal's entry of service" or something similar to that. Once a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI, Consumer Law, Family Law and Personal Injury for Georgia on
Q: 31 yrs old female first dui and and missed court on the hearing. Bench issued she spent 6 days in jail can she nolo

Furthermore as a violent man held her beyond will and beat her and had her arrested . Lady has 3 children and now away from harm need a chance to start her life now without the terrioristic drama he put her through

Michael D. Birchmore
Michael D. Birchmore
answered on Nov 18, 2021


1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Georgia on
Q: Can a debt collector put a lien on my home if my daughter is on the mortgage as well and the debt is not hers
Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines
answered on Oct 12, 2021

In Georgia, the creditor would first have to sue you in one of the state courts and then obtain a judgment against you. Then that creditor can record that judgment on any property that you have, real or personal property. This includes any property that is owned by multiple parties including that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: Is a carshield repair contract considered insurance in the state of Ga? If not does the state regulate them?

Ok. Apparently the question wasn't clear to some people. It isn't a question of is it auto insurance. If is a question of is that contract legally considered insurance against mechanical failures(I have heard the term "policy" used and they have "adjusters")? Also... Read more »

Cory D. Raines
Cory D. Raines
answered on Aug 19, 2021

CarShield offers protection plans and warranties to their members and is not insurance. Their coverage extends to only to automobile repairs. Although having CarShield may be a good thing, it does not provide coverage for injuries damage caused by accidents. Therefore you should have insurance.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law and Insurance Bad Faith for Georgia on
Q: I was in an accident, the police officer could not determine who was at fault (although it was evident).

I took this to small claims court to prove that I was not at fault and won my case. This accident happened in 2019 and I was diagnosed with cancer a month afterwards.

I had to request several contingencies due to radiation, chemotherapy, physical therapy and recovery time. During this time... Read more »

Titus Thomas Nichols
Titus Thomas Nichols PRO label
answered on Aug 11, 2021

They're going to try and scare you into accepting a lower amount of money by threatening to appeal.

You need an Attorney who will represent you in the appeal. Otherwise they will appeal the case a demand a jury trial.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Identity Theft for Georgia on
Q: Do you handle bank account fraud?

A friend of mine had a text from Zelle (aka Synovus Bank) regarding a suspicious transaction. They asked personal questions, in which he answered. Within 6 minutes they transfered over $7,000! He disputed it with the bank in which there turned down. He also reported it to the police with the name... Read more »

Sabrina A. Parker
Sabrina A. Parker
answered on Aug 6, 2021

You should go to the bank directly and speak with the branch President and explain what happened and see if they can reverse the charges. If the number on your caller ID is a Synovus Bank number, they may be more inclined to investigate the matter and possibly reverse the charges.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability and Lemon Law for Georgia on
Q: Need a lawyer who services the state of Georgia regardless of in state or out of state.
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Aug 4, 2021

Contact the Ga. Trial Lawyers Assn and they can help you find a lawyer for your type of claim. Their members give free consults.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.