Birmingham, AK asked in Bankruptcy for Alabama

Q: If I file ch 7 how will that affect me purchasing a home within the next 2 to 3 yrs or a vehicle or obtaining credit

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: As soon as you receive your bankruptcy discharge, you will be able to qualify for some basic consumer loans, although at a higher interest rate. The good news is most lenders state that it takes no more than four years to reestablish a normal credit rating provided you pay debts currently and make sufficient income. Within four years after receiving a Chapter 7 discharge, most people are able to purchase cars and homes with normal interest rates and terms.

At one time bankruptcy destroyed peoples' credit. Banks used to believe personal bankruptcy was a stigma on credit that a debtor could not overcome. Today, so many people file bankruptcy every year that banks cannot ignore this large market of potential customers. While no one plans to file bankruptcy, the effect of filing today is not nearly as bad as your creditors would like you to believe.

Credit scoring is not a legal issue. There are no bankruptcy laws or rules concerning how a debtor recovers their credit rating after filing bankruptcy. Your bankruptcy attorney may have an opinion about credit repair based on the experiences of his clients, but your bankruptcy attorney probably has no professional knowledge about how banks score credit ratings of bankruptcy debtors.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.