Starkville, MS asked in Criminal Law for Mississippi

Q: Is a conviction under MS.code 41-29-139 Sec B eligable for expungement after 5 yrs?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bradley M. Glaze
Bradley M. Glaze
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Madison, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Mississippi Code Section 99-19-71(2)(a) provides as follows: "Any person who has been convicted of one of the following felonies may petition the court in which the conviction was had for an order to expunge one (1) conviction from all public records five (5) years after the successful completion of all terms and conditions of the sentence for the conviction:...possession of a controlled substance or paraphernalia under Section 41-29-139(c) ... A person is eligible for only one (1) felony expunction under this section." The general section that you provided does fall within this code section providing for expungement. However, there were recently amendments to Section 41-29-139. An experienced criminal defense attorney could be very helpful in providing the best possible outcome in your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.