Anniston, AK asked in Medical Malpractice for Alabama

Q: How long do I have to file suit in a Medical Malpractice Case. Is it better to go out of your County for best results?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
Mr. Joshua Benjamin Key
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: All actions against health care providers must be commenced within two years after the act or omission giving rise to the claim; provided, that if the cause of action is not discovered and could not reasonably have been discovered within the two-year period, then the action may be commenced within six months from the date of such discovery or the date of learning of facts that would reasonably lead to such discovery, whichever is earlier. Ala. Code § 6-5-482 (1993). Although this statute of limitations is subject to tolling for minority or disability, in no event may an action be brought more than four years after the act or omission, except that a minor who is under the age of four at the time of the act or omission accrues has until his eighth birthday to commence an action. Id. The constitutionality of the statute has been upheld. Barlow v. Humana, Inc., 495 So. 2d 1048 (Ala. 1986).

Some counties can be a little bit more favorable with their judgments. You should contact your attorney of choice to discuss what options you have available in this regard. You should also be aware of the accusation of forum shopping should you go to a county that would be a stretch. If you need any assistance or a referral please do not hesitate to contact me.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.