Dallas, TX asked in Contracts for Texas

Q: Can builder withhold payment for work on one property because of mistake (corrected) on a separate property?

Builder authorized irrigation on two properties then cancelled work on one of them twice before work was actually done. He then ordered work on another property that was completed and closed on that house. Is it legal to withhold money legally due on a property when that work is completed and the money is due?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas J. Shumway
Douglas J. Shumway
  • Salt Lake City, UT
  • Licensed in Texas

A: To answer this question in a meaningful way you will want to sit down with a local contract lawyer who can review the contracts. You would be quite surprised at what is legal and enforceable in a contract and you may have agreed to something that is not at all in your favor. Notwithstanding what you have agreed upon you may have defenses and claims that can be resolved through negotiation or demand. Most attorneys will sit down with potential clients for free so you should probably schedule a few appointments so that you have a few opinions and can go from there. The foregoing answer is provided by Douglas J Shumway, Esq.: (801) 478-8080. The answer provided is not intended to form an attorney client relationship and should not be construed as legal advice. Mr. Shumway is licensed only in Utah. Mr. Shumway's law firm has offices in Salt Lake City, San Antonio and Las Vegas.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.