Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: i didnt shoot a gun but there were witnesses saying they saw a gun in my hand and shots were fired. what should i plead?

i have been charged with felony deadly conduct.

Hon. Richard W. B. Davis
Hon. Richard W. B. Davis answered on Sep 29, 2020

Not guilty.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas on
Q: Hello. My ex-husband had a TRO signed against me for picking up our daughter on 9/9/2020 with no reason or allegations

I am the custodial parent, however he took her for a visit and refused to give her back and then had a restraining order files. . The hearing has been reset to mid October as he is required to get a nail drug test bc he is an addict and is on felony probation. Since it has been over 14 days since... Read more »

Hon. Richard W. B. Davis
Hon. Richard W. B. Davis answered on Sep 28, 2020

Under the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, a Temporary Restraining Order usually expires on its own 14 days after it has been issued. TRO's are often extended, however. I suggest that you call the District Clerk to ask.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation for Texas on
Q: Can I work part time or even a full shift as long as they follow the time permitted restrictions?

My treating physician just lifted the 0 hr of restrictions of certain movements to that of 2 hrs... with that being said, my employer wants me to work on modified duty... my question is two-fold, I suppose. 1) Can they put me to work more than 2 hours as long as those restrictions are met ? 2) how... Read more »

Matthew B. Lewis
Matthew B. Lewis answered on Sep 28, 2020

You can return to work under modified duty. The insurance company will still owe you TIBs if you earn less than what you were making before you got hurt. The employer should honor the restrictions if they are going to put you back to work. If they don't, your doctor can take you back off... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property and Patents (Intellectual Property) for Texas on
Q: I am looking for a patent lawyer that specializes in weapons, specifically Guns - All Types - can you help

New type of configurable weapon that can be quickly modified for rapidly changing tactical situations - also new weapons for personal defense and law enforcement

Timothy John Billick
Timothy John Billick answered on Sep 28, 2020

Yes I can certainly help with this matter. I have experience with mechanical and electrical inventions so feel free to check out my background and drop me a line at

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: Do I have the right to request back from the police my deceased brother’s gun collection confiscated 3 years ago?

The police took his gun collection because he had a felon. He was trying to sell his guns to help pay for his legal bills. My brother committed suicide last week and I am the next of kin. I want to sell the guns to pay for his final arrangements. His gun collection was worth 10’s of thousands... Read more »

Hon. Richard W. B. Davis
Hon. Richard W. B. Davis answered on Sep 27, 2020

You have the right to ask, but it does not mean that the police will comply. I suggest that you contact the police chief of the District Attorney and explain the situation and see if they can accommodate you. If not, a lawyer may be able to help you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Texas on
Q: I live with the father of my kids and I want to leave and take my kids with me. I no longer feel like it’s safe for us.

Can I do that without his consent

Sharita Blacknall
Sharita Blacknall answered on Sep 27, 2020

Anyone in fear of the safety of themselves and their children must get themselves out of harm's way.

I suggest that if you do not have a court order in place already regarding custody, visitation, and financial support that you hire a lawyer as soon as possible to get one.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Texas on
Q: Can my son's girlfriend sue CVS for slipping in the mud in front of their store, breaking her ankle?

They are homeless, living in Garland TX, She slipped it the mud on the sidewalk and broke her ankle in 10 places. She will need 2-3 months in a rehab facility, but they have no insurance, so no place will take her. They are literally living in a storm drain right now and she is not going to be... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 27, 2020

A Texas attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for two weeks. In terms of your question about her options, a comprehensive answer would be pages long, depending on a number of factors. The practical answer to your question is for her to consult with a Texas attorney who handles... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: Does i864a ONLY apply 2 household member primary sponsor w/ insufficient $? Or can use it for Joint Sponsor's spouse?

- primary sponsor is a one person household , i864 income insufficient.

- has Joint sponsor seperate household income is marginal wants to include spouse. Does spouse use i864a or become 2nd Joint Sponsor on another i864? Thanks

Ify Princess Ikeakanam
Ify Princess Ikeakanam answered on Sep 27, 2020

Good Morning. I-864A is for household members of the sponsor or joint sponsor whos income will be Included in the total household income.

Are you using the poverty guidelines on USCIS website?

Have you considered who will be added to your I-944? Let me know if you have follow up...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Foreclosure, Landlord - Tenant and Probate for Texas on
Q: My husband recently passed. I am not on the mortgage for the house. The bank is telling me I have 30 days to move. Help!
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Sep 26, 2020

Are you on the deed? Have you filed to probate your husband's estate? Federal law prohibits a lender from foreclosing for six months after a court appoints someone to settle the estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Texas on
Q: A place for help with citizenship for senior dont speak English and doesnt have a lot income who can help her with fees
Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Sep 25, 2020

You can contact community organizations that can assist the applicant for naturalization such as Catholic Charities or NALEO. You can also contact law school legal clinics for assistance.

Good luck to you.

2 Answers | Asked in Banking and Probate for Texas on
Q: My husband needs help getting access to his dead father's bank accounts.

My father in law passed away in June 2020. My husband has presented all documentation to the bank within 2 weeks of his dad's passing. However, the bank keeps giving him the runaround. The bank won't provide any information as to any of his dad's accounts or when they will be... Read more »

Isaac Shutt
Isaac Shutt answered on Sep 25, 2020

I can imagine that there could be one of two problems:

First, it could be that the bank requires "letters testamentary" or a "small estate affidavit." These can be required by the bank, and you can only get them by going to probate court. If your father in law had a...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: Got arrested with a class a and b misdemeanor, it’s almost been two years. Is my case still open after two years ?
Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Sep 24, 2020

A misdemeanor does not automatically close at the two-year mark, but if the prosecution has not already filed formal charges by that point they will be barred from doing so by the statute of limitations.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Texas on
Q: Three people purchased a home together. Two of three want use an agent to sell and third wants to sell by owner.

Does the third person need to agree to use the agent? This is a toxic living situation where all parties agree to go separate ways but one does not want to use a real estate agent.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery answered on Sep 24, 2020

If all tenants in common do not agree to sell property a certain way, then there is no sale. The possible sale price might make all three happy. But if no agreement, then any of them can file an Action for Partition. However the maximum sale price will probably not be realized by the Court.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Estate Planning for Texas on
Q: Estate Trust executor being sued for undue influence. How to defend
Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Sep 24, 2020

Hire a fiduciary litigator.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: I have a friend who was arrested after being pulled over. He had a back pack with a gun and drugs in it.

I signed an affidavit stating the gun was mine. If I sign an affidavit stating the drugs are mine will I be charged

Ty Czapla
Ty Czapla answered on Sep 23, 2020

Absolutely you could

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Texas on
Q: In Texas can a 21 year old have sex with a 17 year old?
Ty Czapla
Ty Czapla answered on Sep 23, 2020

Yes. 17 is the age of consent.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Texas on
Q: do i have the right to have a court appointed lawyer for my open cps case? isnt that my right?
Ty Czapla
Ty Czapla answered on Sep 23, 2020

If you are indigent then yes. The judge will determine that based upon an affidavit.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Texas on
Q: How to file a uncontested divorce?

My ex and I have been separated over 17 years. Living in 2 different states over 15 years. We were married in LA and I live in TX. I cannot afford to file and he says he can't either. What assistance can you provide and what steps should I take next?

Ty Czapla
Ty Czapla answered on Sep 23, 2020

If it is a Texas divorce, go to You may be able to find an attorney who can do an uncontested divorce cheaply.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Texas on
Q: I’m Texas if a 14 year old wants to live with one parent, can he go before the judge to request it w/o involving lawyer
Ty Czapla
Ty Czapla answered on Sep 23, 2020

There has to be a custody suit filed and a motion for the judge to confer with the child. Technically, this can be done without a lawyer, but it would be difficult. The judge is required to consider the child's opinion, but it is only factor in the judge's decision.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Texas on
Q: My question is can Texas denie part of a court order that was issued from another state and signed by Judge .

It was a order releasing me from lifetime supervision and Register 5 years ago and they still make me register by my Judge released me I was under new Jersey guide lines since I was interstate comp

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Sep 23, 2020

This is not my focus area but I believe an out-of-state conviction or deferred adjudication can require registration if:

1. Registration is required by the other state; OR,

2. The elements of the offense are substantially similar to a Texas crime that would require registration....
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.