Salt Lake City, UT asked in Criminal Law for Utah

Q: If police interrogate you should you remain silent and wait for a lawyer before answering questions?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael B. Ipson
Michael B. Ipson
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: If you think there is any chance of being charged with the crime the police are interrogating you about then YES, ask for an attorney and exercise your right to silence. By talking to the police you are only helping them gather evidence against you. Often they will make promises like saying they will talk to the prosecutor to help you out if you cooperate or charge you with a lesser crime. Don't believe them. They only want the evidence, simply ask for an attorney and keep silent.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.