Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by James J. Lee
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: What can I do if a police report was exaggerated and misleading to the actual event

Was accused of domestic violence whereas I was arguing with my girlfriend no violence. I slit my wrist was why 911 was called. No medical given. DV charges because he had scratches. But had scratches because police had her walk through the woods in the dark because could not find her on the trail

James J. Lee
James J. Lee answered on Nov 18, 2020

Sorry to hear about that. Since you've already been charged, it's too late to do anything with the report or with police. The next stage is addressing these issues in court. There are two ways this can be done: 1. talking with the prosecutor to discuss the factual discrepancies and/or 2.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: How do I get a copy of a permanent protective order granted in 3rd district court June of 2012.

Criminal stalking case

James J. Lee
James J. Lee answered on Sep 7, 2018

You can go to that court and ask for a copy. You can also call them and they may be able to send it to your for an extra cost.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Utah on
Q: If you paid for the item before you left the store can you still be charged with shoplifting?

I was in the store waiting for my husband. I was on the phone with the bank. I got up and picked up a water bottle. I sat down and stayed on the phone with the bank. While on the phone I removed the label on the water bottle and put it in my purse. It wasn’t hidden. I also put the label... Read more »

James J. Lee
James J. Lee answered on Jul 23, 2018

Unfortunatley yes, you can still be charged. Based on what you are saying the store would have several reasons to believe you had the intent to steal the item.

Luckily, there are always possible defenses and/or ways to mitigate damages.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.