South San Francisco, CA asked in Bankruptcy for California

Q: A business owing me 30000 dollars when bankrupt on me.what can I do.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cynthia Jean Nelson
Cynthia Jean Nelson
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Fremont, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy so that you receive a proportional distribution of the funds the court finds available to distribute. You can follow the progress in the case so that if it fails and a discharge is denied you can sue to collect your money. You can read the schedules that are filed describing assets and liabilities. If you know about assets that are hidden or not included, you can notify the US Trustees office and the trustee assigned to the case. If you believe that money was borrowed from you based on fraud, you can consult with an attorney about whether it might be worthwhile to sue in the bankruptcy court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.