Scottsdale, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: How to plead to lesser charge?

Entered ex-girlfriends yard to look for my belongings left when I moved out. She was not home (which I knew beforehand). Neighbor saw me and called police. Arrested for harassment and trespass. Spent night in jail.

Pre-trial offer dismissed harassment for guilty plea of trespass (Class I). Penalties are jail, fine, diversion class, probation, and protection order.

Is this harsh for someone with no priors?

How do I I use the belongings issue as a defense?

How do I get my belongings back?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Craig Orent
Craig Orent pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you are saying that the settlement offer would require you to serve a jail sentence, then it sounds harsh. However, although you have provided some details, I would need to learn more to fully assess your circumstances, any potential defenses to the charges, and if the plea offer is appropriate and fair. If you don't have an attorney assisting you, then you should get one. You may contact me to discuss further. As to your belongings,rightfully owning the property you were trying to recover would not be a defense, generally speaking. And as for recovering your property, if your ex- won't voluntarily agree, then you would likely have to sue her in small claims court (unless the property's value exceeds the jurisdictional limits of small claims court). Again, if you won't to discuss further, feel free to contact me.

Craig Orent

Attorney at Law

Orent Law Offices, PLC

11811 N. Tatum Blvd. Suite 3031

Phoenix, AZ 85028


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.