Indianapolis, IN asked in Criminal Law for Indiana

Q: We live in CA. My 14 yr old son is charged with 2 felonies in IN. I am unemployed and broke. How do i get him a lawyer?

We have been summoned to appear at the initial hearing in IN re: the petition for delinquency. What steps do I take to get him represented by a lawyer?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Michael E. Polen Jr.

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Dyer, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If you and your son qualify, you may be entitled to a public defender. The Court will make that determination and assign one if appropriate. Another option might be if there is a free legal aid clinic. You can check with the local bar association and/or the clerk of the Court for phone numbers.

Gojko Kasich

  • Hebron, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: If he's charged with felonies, he's either an "automatic" because of an armed robbery or a murder . . or he was waived because he's been in so much trouble as a juvenile, the juvenile court is convinced there is nothing it can do for him.

At his first court appearance, he needs to advise the Court that he can't afford an attorney. The judge will ask some questions, and will either appoint counsel for him or not. Understand, if you post a substantial amount of bail for him [if it's one of the counties that allow you to post 10% cash], the Court MAY terminate the public defender and have you pay for private counsel. If this might happen, make it clear [if it is in fact true] that the money is YOURS as a loan and that you need it when it finally gets returned. This MIGHT convince the judge to keep the PD in the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.