Peoria, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: If I am court ordered to see a doctor in jail but detention officer tells me I have the right to refuse, why am I charge

Charged with attempted agg assault for refusing to see doctor and the police report never mentioned officer for giving me permission to refuse. Do I have a case for 1983 civil lawsuit? Because officers definitly used excessive force while removing me from cell and I suffer neck and back injuries with no medical attention and they have yet to give me video of that incident and both public defenders say I have the right to property as evidence but it was never showed in court or released to me and I was force to plead guilty for something I didn't do

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A Black
David A Black
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your question is not very clear but make sure you don't let the statute of limitations run on your 1983 claim. Contact a civil plaintiff attorney ASAP for more answers. Suits against the state have strict time limitations, some but probably not all have already lapsed in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.