Croton-on-Hudson, NY asked in Collections for New York

Q: I won my case in Court and got a judgment against the defendant, who did not show up to fight the case.

How long do I have to try to collect on the judgment?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Mark A. Siesel
Mark A. Siesel pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: You have twenty years from the date of the judgment to execute on that judgment. Collection lawyers are very good at locating assets of a party f they have them, and similarly to personal injury lawyers, they often only take their fee if they recover compensation for you.

Anthony J. Pietrafesa
Anthony J. Pietrafesa
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Albany , NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: As stated, a money judgment is collectible over 20 years. It can also be a lien on real property owned by the defendant for 10 years. I assume you go tthis judgment in a small claims court. If so, see the Court Clerk and ask for a transcript you can docket in your County Clerk's Office. That will make it a lien on real property. If you think the defendant has property or works in another county, get the County Clerk to give you trasncripts so you can file them in other counties. If I recall, trasncripts will run you $6 and it costs $10 to file.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.