Longmont, CO asked in Bankruptcy for Colorado

Q: I live in colorado, and im over-whelmed with debt, i want to file bankruptcy but not quite sure which form to file?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robin Kert Hunt
Robin Kert Hunt
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Denver, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There is not one form to file for bankruptcy. The official bankruptcy forms for use in Colorado are available from the web sites of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Colorado at http://www.cob.uscourts.gov/forms.asp and the U.S. Courts at http://www.uscourts.gov/FormsAndFees/Forms/BankruptcyForms.aspx.

Even though a person can file bankruptcy without an attorney, it often is not a good idea. A warning on the web site for the U.S. Courts reads as follows:

"It is very important that a bankruptcy case be filed and handled correctly. The rules are very technical, and a misstep may affect a debtor's rights. For example, a debtor whose case is dismissed for failure to file a required document, such as a credit counseling certificate, may lose the right to file another case or lose protections in a later case, including the benefit of the automatic stay.Bankruptcy has long-term financial and legal consequences - hiring a competent attorney is strongly recommended."


With what's at stake, consulting with an experienced bankruptcy attorney licensed to practice in your state may be a good idea.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.