Joliet, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: How do I revoke guardianship of a minor? My parents received this in 2006. I'm back & stable & want full custody back.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew John Hawes
Andrew John Hawes
  • Niles, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: As far as I can tell from researching this issue, a minor can only end a guardianship when they attain the age of majority, or if you can convince one of your parents to file a petition and prove, by a preponderance of the evidence, that a material change in the circumstances of the minor or the parent has occurred since the entry of the order appointing the guardian warranting removal of the guardian. They would have to convince the court that it is in your best interest to remove that guardianship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.