Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Illinois Family Law Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: 34-yrs married, $3M+ assets. Tell me more about "equitable" split. 50/50 is far from equitable all things considered.

I'm 57-yrs old. My highest wage earning years are behind me. All real estate holdings acquired were made possible by my earnings over last 30-years. Likewise all improvements, management, etc, have been and are 95% on me. Retirement is 401K along with rental properties. I would need no less... Read more »

Daniel J. Kollias
Daniel J. Kollias answered on Jun 3, 2021

The law does not require a 50/50 division. The court has the authority to divide marital assets and debts based on what is fair and equitable. The law lists several factors that the court may consider in making that determination, many of which you touched upon in your question.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Illinois on
Q: What part of the law would I find Bias Judgement, Colleagues, and what to do when case involves a Circuit Clerk employee

I have a custody case were the sister works for the Circuit Clerks office. Her and the girlfriend came up with a well calculated plan to make my character out to be a low life junkie so my ex could gain custody. They have gone as far as emailing where I live stating I deal drugs out of my... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 1, 2021

your efforts are better spent working on your custody issues. Arrange a visitiation eval with a social worker, etc. but you need an attorney. d.i.y. is getting you nowhere. Trying to tell a judge the system is biased doesn't get an unrepresented person anywhere. You need an attorney to build a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: How can I change an agreement made on record? It has no been finalized yet. We go back for finalizing June 7th.

My soon to be ex husband and I made an agreement that once he does anger management he can do visitation with the kids ever other weekend spoken through the court. However, I want a provision added in that states our oldest can choose when/where/how he wants to communicate with his father. The... Read more »

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on May 28, 2021

Only your attorney knows all of the facts of your case and only he is in a position to advise you properly. However, it sounds like your oldest son and your ex could use some reunification therapy. This would involve a separate Motion , but you are in a bad situation. Perhaps, you could talk to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: If moving to a different school district, does that violate the joint education decision part of our parenting agrement

We will still be in macon county only about 10 minutes further but a different school district. I do not get child support. I pay for everything. My ex gets every other weekend and 2 nights a week 4 hours each time. Do I need her approval to move?

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on May 10, 2021

Unless your Judgment specifically provides otherwise, you may definitely move as you described.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Does not following through on something a gaurdian ad litem needs reason to remove them from case?

My gaurdian ad litem put me on supervised visits until she spoke with my psychiatrist/psychologist who I see for moderate depression and anxiety to make sure I was okay to be alone w my daughter. I had given her everything about everything from their records she said she still had to speak with... Read more »

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Apr 8, 2021

Based on the info you have provided, the GAL's failure to speak with your doctors does not mean she is not doing her job properly. Aside from the rigmarole of HIPPA restrictions, there isn't much the doctors can say that is not already known from their reports. If you are an alcoholic, 30... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois on
Q: I need help trying to get a divorce . I have a 9 yr old son an a house under mine and husbands name.

He will seek for full custody of my son. And will make things hard for him to sign divorce papers. I really need guidance. And and idea of how much will this cost me.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.
J. Richard Kulerski Esq. answered on Feb 20, 2021

The best guidance I can suggest is for you to contact a local divorce lawyer, and explain ALL of the facts to him/her. You really have not provided us with enough info to assist you properly. It is not uncommon for a bully-type husband to make the threat about custody. Divorce lawyers hear this... Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Elder Law for Illinois on
Q: How does Guardianship relate to marital rights? My husband had a stroke July1 and his kids showed up with signed Power

of Attorney forms that he didn't remember signing. They completely took over...changed locks on husband's house, closed all of our joint accounts leaving me with no phone, no car insurance and no house insurance. They took over finances and I haven't seen a cent of his money since... Read more »

Stephanie Sexauer
Stephanie Sexauer answered on Feb 4, 2021

I'm so sorry to hear about these circumstances. I think you may need to consider hiring an attorney to have better communications with your husband's children to reach a resolution.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Family Law and Immigration Law for Illinois on
Q: Can I have an appointment with a free immigration lawyer that also handles employment and family issues?
Adan Vega
Adan Vega answered on Feb 2, 2021

You can reach out to any of the immigration attorneys who respond to questions in the JUSTIA Ask a Lawyer platform and ask if they can accommodate your request.

Good luck to you.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence, Family Law and Sexual Harassment for Illinois on
Q: I called DCFS on my child for being physically and sexually abusive to his younger siblings. What are my rights?

Should I be concerned about them taking my children and how do I prepare for this transition?

William Wolf
William Wolf answered on Jan 23, 2021

Yes. You should be concerned.

DCFS and the local State's Attorney's Office in the County where you live could conclude that you placed your children at risk of harm and screen the case into juvenile court for a judge to make that determination.

There, you'll need a...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: My daughter's father was incarcerated for almost 2 years for child abuse of his other child. Can he get custody?

He was convicted on 3 different occasions in a span of 4 years. Each offense was against his older child (not mine). His rights to his other child were terminated while he was incarcerated. Is he able to get custody/visitation of my daughter? Or is it possible to have his rights to my daughter... Read more »

Richard Ian Conner
Richard Ian Conner answered on Dec 21, 2020

Look to Illinois statute 750 ILCS 5/603.10 for guidance. Illinois allows court's to put restrictions on parental responsibilities, including parenting time and decision-making responsibilities.

Unfortunately, if you do not have a case filed with your local circuit court, then you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: What are the criteria to move out of your parents home without consent at 18 years of age? (In Illinois)

Side question, if I am unable to fully move out of the home, would I be able to just walk out and sleep at a friend's house occasionally?

The real question would be....

What are my limitations as an 18-year-old with a job that only pays 50 per day?

Would moving out be... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Nov 18, 2020

You are not considered an adult until you either reach 18 years of age or are emancipated (declared to have the rights of an adult) through a court proceeding. The main requirements of emancipation are that your parents must agree to it and you must be immediately able to support yourself living... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: I have proof of and paper documentation of all of my rights have been broken!

I have proof! I've been shut down no one will help there is plenty of paperwork and documentation. My child has been stolen. And these people falsified information and documented that these allegations were true, without investigating! Please help us!!!!

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Nov 12, 2020

It seems that you need to hire a Family Law Attorney right away.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Illinois on
Q: What can I do about my abusive ex lying on a OP to get custody of our 2 year old son?

My son's father abused me for 3 years I finally got away from him so He filed a Order of Protection making false claims that I physically abused our son. He did not disclose in the petition that I have had a OP on him for my kids and myself. Or that he was arrested and charged with aggravated... Read more »

Juan Ooink
Juan Ooink answered on Nov 9, 2020

This is something you need to discuss with a Family Law Attorney right away. The sooner you hire an attorney, the better.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: will i get in trouble for Running away from a place my mom makes me live because she kicked me out

my mom kicked me out and let me live with my boyfriend and signed a paper saying his dad had custody but then she changed her mind and signed me over to my grandparents who i barley know we didnt go through anything legal it is just a paper out of a notebook saying i can live there do i have to... Read more »

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Nov 2, 2020

Legally, you are required to live wherever your parents say. No court order means nothing enforceable typically. Your parents can choose to give guardianship or to take it away. Anyone who harbors you can be charged with harboring a runaway.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: How do I get visitation for my child in another state?

I(father/never married) live in Wisconsin and pay child support to the mother of my child who lives in Illinois. The mother denies me access to our child. I don't know where to start and feel I need a lawyer, but can not afford one.

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Oct 31, 2020

You would have to file for parenting time in Illinois. Legal aid does not typic

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: Ex husband engages in inappropriate behavior during his parenting time

My ex husband has parenting time every other weekend. Our daughters are 13, 9 and 9.

Last weekend my daughter walked by his bedroom at 2 p.m. when all of the kids were in the house and heard voices. The door was closed, but she could clearly hear him engaging in an online chat coercing... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Oct 28, 2020

Contact the lawyer who handled your divorce, make an appointment immediately , bring in the daughter and the recording. Follow the advice the lawyer gives you.

If you did not use a lawyer when you got divorced, contact a lawyer immediately, make an appointment, bring in the daughter and the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Illinois on
Q: My son was taken out of his mom’s care in IL. He was adjudicated as dependent. Court ruled his mom unable (not unfit)

I traveled to the last court date from Oklahoma and was told that I could take my son home with me. They closed the case, and at the bottom of the court order, it is written, “All custodial rights of the minor are vested to (my name).” Does this mean that I now have full or sole custody of my... Read more »

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Oct 22, 2020

It sounds like you have sole custody of your son. You should see an attorney licensed to practice law in Oklahoma to figure out what your next step is in that state.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Health Care Law for Illinois on
Q: What happens to my child support for Iowa but my ex wife is moving to IL. My son is covered by Iowa health insurance.
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Oct 22, 2020

Your child support is determined by the last court order. It doesn't change just because a parent moves from one state to another.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Illinois on
Q: Can daughters boyfriend take kids from her. They unmarried . He is the father. Paternity tests were taken for 1child

He's threatening her by saying he's going to take the kids and have her declared mentally incompetent.

James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg answered on Oct 22, 2020

Until a court order is entered determining when each of the parents has time with the children, the rights of the parents are exactly the same. It is not kidnapping to take your own child, unless a court order determines the other parent should have the child at that time.

In other words,...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois on
Q: My 14 year old wants to live with me.

We have a parenting agreement that is 3 years old. My 14 year old never wanted to live with her dad. I felt railroaded and signed the papers. Is there any way to do this without contesting? The father (who is not her biological father but is on the birth certificate) will not agree for her to move... Read more »

Cheryl Powell
Cheryl Powell answered on Oct 21, 2020

If you want to change parenting rights and responsibilities, you have to contest if you disagree. That is the nature of family law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.