Detroit, MI asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Can a child custody case originating in michigan be suddenly changed to another jurisdiction?

From detroit,mi to avondale, az

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lenore Tsakanikas
Lenore Tsakanikas
  • Tucson, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Your questions involves intepretation of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which is a complicated statute subjection to interpretation. The simple answer is that Arizona would have jurisdiction if the child is present in Arizona and the child has been abandoned or the child is in danger of mistreatment or abuse (temporary emergency jurisdiction.) Arizona would also have jurisdiction to make a modification of custody if Arizona is the home state of the child six months prior to the commencement of the action in Arizona and either an Arizona or a Michigan court determines that Michigan no longer has jurisdiction. This is a simple answer to a complicated situation in which you need to consult with an attorney regarding the specifics of your particular case. An attorney would obtain information as to circumstances that the state asserted jurisdiction, the residence of all involved,disputed matters,where any evidence would be, etc. An attorney would advise you whether or not you should challenge a chnage of jurisdiction. Arizona's version of the UCCJEA is found in A.R.S. Section 25-1001, et seq. which, again, is a complex statute subject to interpretation, based upon specific facts. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.