Blueisland, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois


I have served my wife with the Petition for Dissioultion, He responded,According to Legal Aide, My next step is to get a Hearing Date. However it says i need to bring a Copy signed by both parties.Can I just have her and i sign and notirize this form before i go to the court house? how does this work?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Andrew John Hawes

  • Niles, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. If you are in agreement you can both just sign the certification and agreement by counsel. Then you go to the motion/scheduling clerk with this signed agreement to get a "prove-up" date, in which you both will need to go to court. At this time, the judge will ask you questions and then you can get divorced. I recommend you ask legal aid to put your agreement in writing so that you can present that to the court to enter on the date of your prove up.

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.