Buffalo, NY asked in Collections for New York

Q: Why was a notice of Judgment entered against me in the newspaper when my lawyer got an order to show cause?

I live in NY and the order to show cause stays any collection efforts against me. It was a default judgment that was not properly served, so my lawyer is attempting to get it vacated and dismissed. She served the attorney with the signed order. Yet the notice appeared in last weeks paper!? What can I do and why did that happen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony J. Pietrafesa
Anthony J. Pietrafesa
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Albany , NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: The judgment is still a judgment. Lawyers don't report these things to newspapers, it gets picked up by reporters. Sorry it happened. However, more importantly, check your credit report now and in a few weeks to see if it shows up there, too. That way, if you successfully get the judgment vacated, you can take that order and have the judgment removed from your credit report before it can do real damage.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.