Independence, MO asked in Divorce for Missouri

Q: How do I file a ccivil suit in Jackson County, Mo. this concerns matters due to a divorce aggreement.

My ex husband agreed to pay a state tax bill within 30 days of dissolution and has not, he also moved my son out of school district without a 60 days notice and my consent. He is supposed to pay health insurance on my son and is not following through with this matter as well.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kenneth J. Geniuk
Kenneth J. Geniuk
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You'll need to file a motion for contempt, or a motion to enforce the settlement agreement, or perhaps both. As far as "how" to do it, you'll need to preapre the motion(s), making sure that the allegations are sufficient to state a cause of action. Also, there will be some other forms that need to be prepared and filed. If you do it on your own, the Missouri Supreme Court requires you to attend an online litigant awareness program.

I would not suggest doing it on your own. You really should sit down with an attorney to go over the facts in more detail so that you can be better advised on how to proceed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.