Kewanee, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can i sign illinois voluntary acknowledgement of paternity with the mother?

Mother of daughter signed paperwork at hospital without me there. She says because she does not want public aid to come after me for child support.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janet Rubel
Janet Rubel
  • Northbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes. Illinois law provides for the biological father to sign a voluntary acknowledgement of paternity. This can be done at the hospital when the baby is born or afterwards at the local courthouse. The forms may be available online in your jurisdiction. Contact the local clerk of the court for more information. He or she can tell you the fees and paperwork you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.