Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Can probation be extended for one year after the original terms of the probation been completed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Lee Marshall
Robert Lee Marshall
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in California

A: If I understand you correctly, the answer is no. Once you've competed the entire term of probation, the judge doesn't have jurisdiction to go back and extend it. However, are you sure probation actually expired? For instance, if there was a violation along the way, the probation period is "tolled" while the violation is pending. That means the clock stops during the violation proceedings, so your probation termination date would be extended. If the court is trying to extend your probation, you probably already have a lawyer -- whether it's someone you hired or a court-appointed public defender -- who is in a better position to answer your questions than a stranger on the internet who isn't familiar with the facts of your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.