Bronx, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: My fiance is incarcerated sentenced to 4yrs n 5yrs parole. Will he be deported?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Susan Beth Henner
Susan Beth Henner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • White Plains, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends. What is the crime for which he was incarcerated? Is there any reason he can not return to his home country? Does he have a green card or is he illegal here? It sounds like he was convicted of a felony. Normally this would render him removable in most cases. However there may be relief from deportation for him depending on when the crime occurred and what it was. Also if he can not return home or has relief from removal he can in some cases apply to remain in the US. He will at some point have a hearing with an immigration judge. Make sure he speaks to a qualified immigration lawyer prior in order to determine any forms of relief for him.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.