Asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Order in place to support daughter while in college. Daughter is 20 and now pregnant. Is order still in effect?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Janet Rubel
Janet Rubel
  • Northbrook, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Yes, the order is still in effect. The parent paying support could go into court to challenge this order by arguing that the pregnant daughter is now emancipated because of her pregnancy. If the daughter is living with the father of the child, will receive child support from the biological father or public aid benefits, then this parent could tell the judge that the daughter has other means of support now. If she drops out of college, then the reason for the support is no longer in existence.

It is necessary to file a Petition to Terminate Child Support with the court. If the judge agrees, then he/she will enter an order terminating support for this pregnant child.

A court ordered a father of a jailed convicted murderer son to continue to pay his college expenses when the father appealed seeking to end his obligation to pay child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.