Scottsdale, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: If I know the order of assignment should stop in May when my daughter graduates, when should I submit the form?

There is no date on the form to request to stop.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donna Hougen
Donna Hougen
  • Mesa, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: You should file a motion to stop wage assignment and to quash the child support order the month before the order is to expire. You say your order will term in May, since it will term in may you will owe support in May. So you need to file in April. If you actually owe nothing in May, than the last month it would come due is in April. Therefore, you would file a motion to quash it in March. You can file for the order to be terminated or quashed and the wage assignment stopped the same month that the last payment is due, but I usually tell people to file at the end of the month before the last month support is owed to keep them safe. The reason the time is important is because you have to file something to stop the support, and if you do not than you will continue to owe the support until you do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.