Birmingham, AL asked in Uncategorized for Alabama

Q: What is a judgement summary

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Drew Barnett
Drew Barnett
  • Birmingham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I believe you are referring to "summary judgment." In civil cases, summary judgment is governed by Rule 56 of the Alabama Rules of Civil Procedure. Essentially, when a party seeks summary judgment, he or she is asking the court to rule that there is no genuine issue of material fact regarding a particular aspect of the case. If no disputed facts exist, there is no need for a jury to decide that particular issue; the judge can make the call. Thus, motions for summary judgment are often used to resolve either all or portions of a claim before trial. If granted in full, a summary judgment can resolve the entire claim before it reaches trial. If granted in part, the trial may be limited to certain issues. Due to the fact that no two cases are alike, the particular consequences of a entry of summary judgment for or against a party is often unique to the facts of a particular case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.