Decatur, GA asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: Can i take the driver to court when the insurece company is not working with me

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jamie B Hernan
Jamie B Hernan
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Roswell, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There is not an incredible amount of detail in your question, so I have to make some assumptions. I assume that you were injured in an automobile accident and the insurance company for the at fault driver is not working with you to settle the claim. If you were injured in an automobile accident, and the statute of limitations has not passed*, you can file a lawsuit in small claims court (for claims of up to $15,000), state court or superior court.

If you are thinking of taking the other driver to court, I strongly recommend that you consult with an experienced attorney who can review your case and pursue the claim on your behalf.

*Note: Generally in Georgia you have two years to file a claim after an auto accident; however, there are important exceptions and you should consult an attorney about the specific details of your case to determine the statute of limitations that applies to your case. This posting is not legal advice and its contents should be used only as a general statement and not relied upon as legal advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.