Grants Pass, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My landlord demolished my home that i owned without my consent,when there was still my familys belonging in it.what todo

We moved from the property,,that had our home on it.In our name.we were told that nothing would happen to it,but after just a little bit ,my wife and 2 sons age 5 and 7,and myself went back to retrieve some of or things ,and there was a pile of debris where our house was...all kinds of presious memories boys where heart broken...

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Abts
Matthew Abts

A: Dear Questioner,

Wow, that's awful. Here in Oregon we have protections for renter's property within certain time limits. There are things your landlord had to do with your stuff that maybe wasn't done in your case.

We also often allow you to claim attorney's fees in court for these kinds of cases -- in other words, you can win and the other side pays your attorney. Because of this, many landlord/tenant attorneys will take a case "on contingency".

Call the Oregon State Bar referral service and find a "landlord/tenant" attorney who offers "free consultation" (in other words, one who won't charge you money to listen to the details of your story and decide if you have a good case), and who will work "on contingency".

Feel free to call several attorneys to "shop around".

Take care,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.