Kingman, AZ asked in Criminal Law for Arizona

Q: I had my convictions set aside and vacated here in Arizona in 1996 does this discharge me from restitution ?

I am seeking a pardon here in Arizona. I was told by the Arizona Board of clemency that all my restitution was not paid . The clerk of the court can not verify this as the case is from 1984 and I can not pay anything as they have no records of owing the Clerk told me when the Judge signed the order to set aside and vacate my convictions 2 of them it relived me of all disability's that should have included the restitution if any was owed is this correct ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David A Black
David A Black
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Generally restitution is not dischargeable, in bankruptcy or otherwise. I would call the court and see if you owe anything. If they say yes, then I'd say you're on the hook.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.