Gurley, AL asked in Family Law for Alabama

Q: We have lived in Al. for over 180 days.have full phys. cust. of son. Mom lives in Mn. Which state do we file in on visit

? on which state to file visitation violations and concerns of well being of minor child. Divorce and custody filed in MN. one lawyer says MN and mn lawyers says here in Al. It would be detrimental for him to go to MN for 6weeks with bio mom. He did last summer and is in counseling now with a therapist. He does not want to go, he is highly anxious over this. Which state do we file in????

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Amber Yerkey James

  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: Even though Alabama is the "home state" of the child, MN has continuing jurisdiction because your son's mom still lives there. You could attempt to file in AL; but if your son's mom does not have any connection to Alabama other than your son being here or she seeks to have the case dismissed here because she still lives there, it is likely that the case will be dismissed. Your best bet is to file in MN.

Richard Carl Perry Jr.

  • Pelham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: After you have spent 3 years in Alabama, you can always enroll the foreign judgment -- the MN judgment -- in Alabama. Then you could file a petition to modify visitation and/or custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.