Turbeville, VA asked in Social Security for Virginia

Q: This is about SSI,can you write to a ALJ an see if he will change his Decision.

I have sent information to the appeals council,an they said no review i had a lawyer but he doesnt do civil action,I NEED HELP i have new evidence for my case i need to proceed,Thank's for any Help

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: If you have lost your claim before the Judge, then the right thing to do was to appeal to the Appeals Council. If the Appeals Council denies your claim, the next step is to file an appeal in the US District Court. It appears you are at that stage. If you cannot get an attorney to take the appeal you can start a new SSI claim. However, you will need new medical evidence that was not previously considered by the Judge. For the appeal to US District Court your new evidence may not be considered if it had never been submitted before to Social Security. Also, it will have to meet the New and Material standard. To be Material the new evidence must relate back to before the Judge's decision.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.