Virginia Social Security Questions & Answers

Q: What's the best way for me to find an attorney to represent me in a fraud/wrongdoing case against me & a deceased party

4 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Nursing Home Abuse and Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 30, 2019
Daniel P Leavitt's answer
If you're alleging someone was killed then the police and prosecutor would handle that on the criminal law side of your question.

Q: Can I be charged with a dwi2 without being convicted of 1st dwi.

3 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI and Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 14, 2018
Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer's answer
The previous conviction is essential in proving the second.

Q: My social security number was shared to over 350 employees in an email without my knowledge or consent. What can I do?

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Law, Personal Injury, Identity Theft and Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 7, 2018
Mr. Beau Correll's answer
I'm very sorry that this happened. You should understand, though, that no matter how jarring or tortious an act may be that certain strict time limits apply. I believe that your factual scenario may touch upon two areas of the law - the first is state tort law and the second is federal employment rights. If I were you, I'd look for attorneys that focus on the latter because there are probably certain nooks and crannies to your particular case that a state tort attorney may pass over.

Q: What if we never hear from Social Security?

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 22, 2017
F. Anthony Bullock's answer
You can call the claims examiner for an update. Also, you can acquire attorney representation at the initial application level. You do not need to wait until you are denied.

Q: My mother opened a credit card in my name using my social security number. What can she do? Without pressing charges

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Dec 18, 2017
Bryan J. Jones' answer
If you don't want to press charges, you can contact the credit card company and ask them to cancel the card and any transactions your mother ran on the card. You may be able to file a civil lawsuit against her, but you'd almost certainly have to pay an attorney a significant retainer and you're not going to get any money from your mother if she doesn't have any in the first place. I don't recommend filing a lawsuit against your mother.

Q: I've been collecting my deceased husband's SS since retiring, but I will get more when I turn 70, right?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Nov 1, 2017
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
It is my understanding if you "delay" taking benefits until age 70 then you receive higher benefits. However, this does not appear to be your case since you did not "delay" taking benefits. You should of course check with your Social Security Office to make sure nothing higher is available. Perhaps, if you have not drawn under your own number, then your money under your own number will be higher than drawing under your husband's number.

Q: i need help getting my ssi. can u help?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Sep 26, 2017
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
Your application for SSI or welfare disability is dependent on your age, your past work, your education and skills, your impairments, and the medical care you receive. Generally, if you are under age 50, you have to show you cannot do "any" job in the economy. You have to show you cannot do any of the jobs you did in the last 15 years. You must show your skills and education do not allow you to other jobs. You must show you are under medical treatment for your ailments and that your doctor's...

Q: can l get social security disability at the age of 55 when your spouse is still working and you have a savings account

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Jul 31, 2017
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
If you have a disability that precludes you from any gainful work based on your age, past work experience, and education then yes you can apply.

Q: I have rheumatoid arthritis, carpal tunnel & disc disease. I am still working. Should I quit working? I have a IRA also.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 17, 2017
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
You did not say your age. However, it can be a struggle to get Social Security Disability. So if you can I would advise working as long as you can.

Q: My son in law is 35 years old with an extremely aggressive form of MS

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Mar 15, 2017
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
If he has Social Security Disability, then there would be survivorship benefits for the children. If he has Supplemental Security Income (SSI), there is no survivorship benefits because SSI is welfare disability.

Q: In the state of Virginia can child support be deducted from a social security disability check

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Aug 22, 2016
Matthew Lane Kreitzer's answer
Generally speaking, social security is offset by your child support payments. Talk with a Family Law attorney for more information.

Q: they stop the payment for SSI because I have a saving account which I forget about it. I did an appeal, I need an advice

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Aug 17, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
First you can have an account--it just can't have more than $2500 in it. Best bet is to see if you can work out a "spend down"

but first check with legal aid/legal services to see if under your facts you can ask for a "waiver" of the condition of having a bank account.Get a run showing what you had in and when to show the legal aid people.

Q: I'm on ssi temporarily. My mother has my property in her name. My uncle lives in it, no income can I put it in my name?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security and Real Estate Law for Virginia on
Answered on Jul 7, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
you really need to see an attorney as it's complicated because you put it in mom's name. Yes, she can sign it back to you.

But there are things that need to be done to protect you and her. Unfrotunately, these things --title transfers, etc.--cost money.

Q: Do I have to report that check? and is there any chance it will affect the amount I receive from SSI?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Jun 24, 2016
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
SSI is welfare disability. If you have "income" from other sources, then it normally must be reported. You are right. You are allowed to have one car. If you have further questions, you may want to contact legal aid in your area.

Q: This is about SSI,can you write to a ALJ an see if he will change his Decision.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on May 28, 2012
Jerry Lutkenhaus' answer
If you have lost your claim before the Judge, then the right thing to do was to appeal to the Appeals Council. If the Appeals Council denies your claim, the next step is to file an appeal in the US District Court. It appears you are at that stage. If you cannot get an attorney to take the appeal you can start a new SSI claim. However, you will need new medical evidence that was not previously considered by the Judge. For the appeal to US District Court your new evidence may not be considered if...

Q: Can I fire my SSDI representative and hire a new one?

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Virginia on
Answered on Jan 20, 2011
Casey Lee Saunders' answer
Dear Sir or Madam:

Of course you “can” fire your SSDI attorney, however, generally the question is really “should” you fire your representative. I often field calls from potential clients wanting to fire their SSDI attorney and hire me. What I generally find is that they are actually frustrated with the delays involved with the Social Security Disability process itself, and feel the attorney is “not doing enough.”

I would urge you to take a look at your situation,...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.