Dorchester, MA asked in Criminal Law for Massachusetts

Q: Have been issued with a capias in boston mass. living outside the us but returning nxt week. should i get a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick J. Murphy, Esq.
Patrick J. Murphy, Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: The short answer is yes. A capias is an arrest warrant issued by a judge on a court case. It is advisable to sit down with a lawyer to discuss all the facts concerning the underlying court case to determine if legal representation is warranted under the circumstances. The lawyer will be able to contact the court to arrange for you to turn yourself in to avoid the possibility of being taken into custody by the police or a constable. You may have been a witness in a case where you received a summons to appear in court but did not go. You may have been a party to a case and the judge could have ordered you to do something and you failed to do so. There are many reasons for the issuance of a capias. Call a lawyer today.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.