Johnstown, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: 85 years old would like to tansfer titile to my home to my children. will state still get if I go to nursing home

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mariah Balling-Peck
Mariah Balling-Peck
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Uniontown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This also depends on variables. It is a good idea to transfer assets to your children while you are alive to lessen your tax burdens upon death. However, there is a catch to this. You must survive 60 months. Nursing home costs run about $7000 a month give or take and can wipe out a persons savings and make them ineligible for health benefits until they become impoverished or have a net value less than approximately $2000. The regulations are changing all the time and I would highly recommend that you make an appointment with an attorney who specializes in estate planning to get assistance and your affairs in order while you still can. I also always recommend to my clients that they prepare necessary medical directives and powers of attorney that can be put into place in the event that you should become incapacitated.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.