Laurel, DE asked in Family Law for Delaware

Q: Confused about name change procedure involving 2 states.

The father, I believe lives in Ohio, my daughter and I live in Delaware. Do I need to put out a publication in Delaware to announce her name is being changed or a publication in Ohio to locate NCP for permission?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE
  • Licensed in Delaware

A: You are supposed to notify the father by certified mail, return receipt requested. If that does not work, you have to use all reasonable efforts to notify the father. There is a name change packet on the New Castle County Website. You can call the Civil Division Clerk’s Office of the Court of Common Pleas at

(302) 255-0942.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.