Cleveland, AL asked in Divorce for Alabama

Q: During divorce seperation can wife bring her new lover into my home

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Amber Yerkey James

  • Huntsville, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: She "can" bring her lover into your home, but she should not. If she does that, it could have an impact on the outcome of your divorce case. If you have already filed for divorce and are represented by an attorney, you should talk with your attorney about this situation. If you are not represented, I suggest hiring a divorce/family law attorney in your area to assist you with this matter.

Richard Carl Perry Jr.

  • Pelham, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I would never advise anyone to bring their new companion into the home during separation -- especially if there are children involved. The court could view this as sending a wrong message to the children. Consider the state we live in with our religious morals. That is typically the norm our judges across the state follow. Additionally, it could also be bad to bring a new companion into the home after the divorce if the children are present. A lot of times, there are clauses in the settlement agreement and/or the final decree of divorce that states "there shall be no overnight guests of the opposite sex unless related by blood while the children are present." This could also be interpreted to include members of the same sex if you are referring to an alternative life style. Feel free to contact me to discuss your concerns and options in a divorce case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.