If a summary judgement is filed against me for credit card debt what can the creditor do to collect

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered 2 years ago

The creditor first has to serve you with a notice of rights to have exemptions designated and motion to claim exempt property once a judgment is entered and becomes final. If you get the exemptions, you have 20 days to fill out and file with the court. You can protect up to $30,000 in your home (really $35,000 but you want to save the $5,000 for your wildcard), a car up to $3500 in equity, $5000 in your personal items and $1,000 each for up to 4 dependents. If you receive the exemptions, please contact me or another attorney so that you will fill them out properly.